Published August 16, 2016

Shelia Shares

I spend a good bit of time on Facebook and some of it is spent with a game called "Cafeland." In this game, I cook a lot more imaginary dishes than I do actual food for our consumption in real life. Through the game, I have learned to know a lot of people and some are fellow Christians that have encouraged my walk with the Lord. Carol Stanley is such a friend and today she shares with you an incident where God worked behind the scenes in a special way.

- Shelia

"God's Mysterious Ways"
by Carol Stanley

Do you know that the Lord works in strange ways?

Last Thursday, Charles was on his way to the Keys to go lobstering. Gone an hour, he called and said he was coming back because he just didn't feel right. He asked me to call the cardiologist and get an appointment. I called, but couldn't get one until this week. When I explained he was lightheaded and just felt odd, I was told to take him to the ER at Oakhill [Hospital] and get him checked out.

We went to ER about 3:00 p.m. They ran tests and told him he had to stay overnight for observation. OK. He was released on Friday, blood work good, EKG good. Our primary [physician], Dr. Joel, wanted to see him on Monday at 1:00 p.m. for a followup.

The weekend was great with bike rides on Saturday and Sunday and a steak dinner on Sunday night. That night while watching TV, I got a stomach ache around 8:30 p.m. Well, it lasted until 3:00 a.m., when I finally got to sleep. I felt OK in the morning. I took Charles to Dr. Joel at 1:00 p.m. The doctor changed one of his meds, did EKG, all was good. I had figured the pains in my stomach were probably diverticulitis, or maybe kidney stones or appendix, but most likely diverticulitis. So, even though I didn't have an appointment, I asked Dr. Joel what I could do. He got my chart and asked a few questions and examined me. Everything was sore, but when he released the one area near my hip, it really hurt. He ordered me to get blood work and a CT scan done. He strongly suggested that we go to the ER at Oakhill since they would do everything faster than going to a lab and then getting an appointment for the CT scan. He call the ER and notified them we were coming.

2:05 p.m. we went to the ER. All my paperwork was waiting. We sat in the waiting room five minutes and they took me over the other ten people that were there. The blood work was done — eight vials! I had to wait until almost 6:00 p.m. for the blood work to be ready and then into the CT scan. With one hour to read the scan, it was now 8:00 p.m. The doctor came in and said I have acute appendicitis and I have to have surgery.

I was into pre-op by 9:45 p.m. The surgeon on call just happened to be the surgeon our doctor wanted. Imagine that! The surgeon came and talked about the procedure and said it would be very soon. 11:30 p.m., I had my appendix removed. I went into recovery and was up to a room by 3:00 a.m.

My surgeon came in around 7:30 a.m. to check on me. He said this was the easiest appendectomy he had done. That little booger was sitting right on top waiting to come out and it was really bad, ready to burst. I got released at 3:05 p.m. that same day and I'm doing good. I'm a little sore, but no problems.

If Charles hadn't come home that Thursday, we wouldn't have been in the doctor's office on Monday and I probably would have chalked the pains up to diverticulitis and ended up in big trouble.

God is so good! He orchestrates our lives in so many, many ways. Thank you Lord! Praise be to God! You truly are my Savior and I am so very thankful that I know You personally and have You in my life. I am so blessed. Charles and I are so blessed and our whole family is definitely blessed.

Thank You LORD! And a special "Thank You" to each one of you that said prayers for me. There is power in prayer, and I love you all for the prayers.

Comments on this?

Copyright 2016 Heil Enterprises. All rights reserved.

Return to the Archives Index page for more recent columns.