Published June 14, 2016
"Great Is Thy Faithfulness"
"Great Is Thy Faithfulness." What powerful words those are. What a strong picture they paint in our minds. I remember singing this song when I was a kid. It was meant to be sung with gusto.
Of course, the phrase refers to God's faithfulness. But do we really believe it? Do we truly believe God is faithful?
Probably all of you would answer, "Yes, I believe God is faithful."
When times are going well, how often we comment on God's faithfulness. "We almost had an accident, but God was faithful." "The hospital just returned the test results. They were negative. God is faithful." "The doctor said the baby would be born with a birth defect, but God is faithful. Everything is great."
But, do we truly believe that God is always faithful?
- Do we believe God is faithful when relationships crumble and a marriage ends?
- Do we believe God is faithful when the test results are cancer or our spouse has a diagnosis of alzheimer's disease?
- Do we believe God is faithful when our baby dies?
- Do we believe God is faithful when someone we thought was a friend spreads lies about us?
- Do we believe God is faithful when we fail and people continue to remind us of what we have done?
- Do we believe God is faithful when we lose our job and we don't know how we will pay for the next tank of gas or the next meal?
- Do we believe God is faithful when our child turns his back on us? When he turns his back on God?
- Do we believe God is faithful when a tornado or flood wipes out the home we've worked so hard and long to build? When every memento is gone?
When circumstances say otherwise, can we truly say, "Great is Thy faithfulness?" And beyond saying the words, can we really believe it? Can we put our complete trust in God's faithfulness?
I love the words of that familiar song by Thomas O. Chisholm:
"Great is Thy faithfulness," O God my Father,
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been, Thou forever wilt be.
"Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!"
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided --
Great is Thy faithfulness," Lord, unto me!"
These are strong phrases of affirmation of God's faithfulness. No shadow of turning. Fail not. Forever wilt be. Changes not. All I have needed.
His faithfulness is to me. He is faithful to me. He will not turn His faithfulness away from me.
So, when circumstances are bad. When troubles hit. When no one else helps. Know that God is faithful. It's His character and He cannot and will not change.
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!
Comments on this? email@example.com.
Copyright 2016 Heil Enterprises. All rights reserved.
Return to the Archives Index page for more recent columns.