Published November 1, 2011
"Get Rid Of It!"
I spent Saturday sorting clothes in my closet. As I was telling a friend what I had done, she asked whether I had already taken them somewhere to give them away. I hadn't.
She said that if she sorts and then keeps the clothes in the house, she tends to go back to the clothes and start bringing them out again and they wind up back in her closet. I knew I wasn't going to do that, but what an illustration!
- When I try to eat properly, it is best to not have the junk food and drink in the house. If I have to go somewhere to get it, I am less likely to indulge.
- If I read the wrong magazines, I don't buy those magazines. And, I don't look at the magazines while I am checking out since I might be tempted to buy them.
- If the teacher says I talk too much in class, I stay focused on my papers instead of turning around in my seat to make talking easier.
- If speeding is a problem, I don't buy a radar detector. I make a conscious effort to maintain a legal speed.
- If I don't want to be tempted to drink, I don't go to the bar.
- If I don't want to steal, I try not to put myself in a secluded area of the store. I go with someone who will confront me if I take something.
Most of those, for me, are easy, because I've practiced them all my life. But there's more.
In our spiritual lives, we ask God to get rid of a sin in our life. But, do we keep the "supplies" around just in case we need them? You know those things that facilitate our sin. If so, somehow our commitment to right living and living like Jesus doesn't seem that committed.
Remember, Scripture tells us that when Jesus set His face to go to Calvary, He didn't look to the right or to the left. He kept going until He came to the cross of Calvary. He wasn't looking for the loopholes in salvation's plan. He wasn't searching for a way out. He knew His purpose and He avoided temptations to search for means of escape.
Whether it is getting rid of clothing you don't wear or getting rid of sin from your life, don't keep within your reach what needs to be discarded. Make a commitment and keep it.
Comments on this? firstname.lastname@example.org .
Copyright 2011 Heil Enterprises. All rights reserved.
Return to the Archives Index page for more recent columns.