Published February 13, 2018
Love is in the air! With our "love theme" edition of the program last weekend and, of course, Valentine's Day tomorrow, all the world is thinking about love.
But, of course, the greatest love of all is God's love. After all, "God is love" (1 John 4:8b).
So I thought it would be interesting to search Scripture to find out some of those things the Bible tells us that God loves. Here are just a few of them:
- God loves Israel, "His people." (1 Kings 10:9, 2 Chron. 2:11 Hosea 3:1).
- God loves righteousness. (Psalm 11:7).
- God loves justice. (Psalm 33:5, Isaiah 56:6).
- God loves His saints. (Psalm 37:28).
- God loves Jerusalem, the city of His Name. (Psalm 87:2).
- God loves the righteous. (Psalm 146:8).
- God loves those whom He corrects. (Proverbs 3:12, Hebrews 12:6).
- God loves those who "follow righteousness." (Proverbs 15:9).
- God loves to rejoice and sing over His people. (Zephaniah 3:17).
- God loves marriage (one man, one woman), His "holy institution." (Malachi 2:11)
- God loves a "cheerful giver." (2 Corinthians 9:7).
Perhaps the best-known example of God's love is found in the familiar John 3:16: "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Romans 5:8 reminds us that "God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
And Romans 8:38-39 reminds us that God's love in Christ is sure: "For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
All of this was because of God's "great love with which He loved us" (Ephesians 2:4). Christ "loved me and gave Himself for me" (Gal. 2:20).
So... What or who does God love? He loves you with a depth of love that's far beyond human comprehension.
Say it out loud right now yes, you and believe it: "God loves me!"
- Paul Heil
Comments on this? email@example.com
To share this column with your Facebook friends, click on the logo or "share" link below.
Copyright 2018 Heil Enterprises. All rights reserved.
Return to the Archives Index page for more recent columns.