Published March 12, 2013
The Bible is God's word for our lives. It's His "Maker's Manual" that is intended to tell us about Him and to instruct us as to how we should live as Christians.
The internet has made it possible to look up Bible verses easily in a wide number of translations and paraphrases. So it's interesting to see what people are, in fact, actually looking up.
Bible Gateway (biblegateway.com) studied last year's lookups (2012) and came up with this list of the most-read Bible verses provided through their service. They're quoted below, presumably in the most-requested version for each verse:
10. Proverbs 3:6 "In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." (KJV)
9. Psalm 23:4 "Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." (NIV)
8. 1 Corinthians 13:4 "Love is patient, love is kind, it isn't jealous, it doesn't brag, it isn't arrogant.." (CEB)
7. Proverbs 3:5 "With all your heart you must trust the Lord and not your own judgment." (CEV)
6. Romans 12:2 "Do not conform yourselves to the standards of this world, but let God transform you inwardly by a complete change of your mind. Then you will be able to know the will of God what is good and is pleasing to him and is perfect." (GNT)
5. Philippians 4:6 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." (ESV)
4. Romans 8:28 "We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose." (NRSV)
3. Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." (NASB)
2. Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." (NLT)
1. John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." (NIV)
What excellent choices! They're full of wonderful promises and encouragement from God Himself.
A similar list was compiled last year by ReignDesign, developers of the popular "Bible Promises" app for the iPhone. They analyzed information from thousands of users and found these verses to be the most popular (quoted here from the NKJV):
5. Philippians 4:6 "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God." (This is the only one that repeats from the other list above.)
4. Galatians 6:9 "And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart."
3. Psalms 103:2-3 "Bless the Lord, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits: Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases."
2. Deuteronomy 31:6 "Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you."
1. Isaiah 40:31 "But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."
That last verse, which was #1 on this list, especially caught my attention it was my dad's favorite verse.
What is your favorite verse? Let me know. And, if you would, provide just a few sentences about why that verse is so special to you. I'd like to share selected verses and thoughts in the weeks ahead.
Comments on this? firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright 2013 Heil Enterprises. All rights reserved.
Return to the Archives Index page for more recent columns.